Monday, 5 September 2011

The Speedy Arrival of One Little Miss

Yesterday my first born, my baby girl, turned 4.  In some ways the time has flown by and I find myself in shock and awe that she is 4 . . . she will be starting kindergarten next week . . . that is now more of a little girl than a baby girl.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the time has seem to flown by . . . Little Miss has been in a state of hurriedness since she arrived first thing in the morning 4 years ago.

It all started over the Labour Day long weekend four year ago.  Well, okay fine, technically it started about nine months or so before but this post is not about that, so  we will just skip to the chase.

I finished work on the Friday and Brad and I headed out to the cottage to visit my parents on the Sunday.  The entire weekend I was uncomfortable . . . the only way I could describe what I was feeling . . . it felt like I was sitting on a head.

Early Tuesday morning I wake up with cramps . . . the ones that most women have experienced at one point or another when they have their period.  Along with the cramping came . . . well hum . . . let's just say I spent a great deal of time resting on the toilet and there was no worry about my shitting myself when I finally went to deliver.

So there I was around 4 in the morning, camping out on the toilet, when I figured out that I was probably in labour.  My handy dandy midwife binder told me just what to do . . . it said during the early stages of labour to take two Tylenol, take two Gravol and lay down for a nap.  So, I did just that.

Only, there was not a chance in hell I was going to nap.  At this point I began to have a wee bit of a minor freak out . . . seriously, if it hurt like hell this early . . . so much so that I could not nap . . . how was going actually going to be when the time came to squeeze this kid out.  At that point, I figured I would have to be heavily drugged and I was A-okay with that!

I gave up on the nap and continued to find some sort of comfort on the toilet. Yes, I would doze on the toilet between contractions. 

Around 5 am I could no longer do it on my own.  I walked in and woke up Brad.  My god, he sat up like a shot, the most wide awake I had ever seen him at 5 am and began rhyming off all of the things he thought he had to do at that very moment.

I laughed and told him to relax and start timing me.  After an hour of timing we decided it was time to call our midwives.  They would come to our home, help me as a laboured and follow us to the hospital when it was time.  The phone call made, now all I had to do was wait for the cavalry to arrive in an hour or so.

Apparently an hour was too long of a wait.  By 6:30 I was totally fighting the urge to push.  There we were, Brad and I, hanging out in our bathroom . . . me on the toilet . . . him looking a wee bit freaked trying to get me to squeeze his hand rather than push.  I can say with 100% certainty that squeezing a persons hand does not in anyway provide relief  when the body is telling you to push that sucker out . . . not at all!

Finally, I hear the door  . . . my midwife has arrive . . . never have I been so happy to see someone in my life.  Debbie takes a quick peak to make certain that I wasn't about to to squeeze out a baby into the toilet and then tells me that I need to head to the bed so that she can check me.

Apparently I was already 10 cm and that baby was coming . . . right then.  Well Debbie did say that I could try and head to the hospital but we all had a pretty good feeling that baby was not in the mood to wait and I so did not want to be that lady who pops out a kid on the side of the highway.

Interestingly, the only thing that freaked me out about a home birth was my mattress . . . I did not want to ruin my mattress . . . those things are expensive and I was about to go down to half of my salary and we could NOT afford  a new one.  Debbie laughed at me and Brad told me that that was honestly the least of my worries at that time.

My second sweet midwife arrives just as I am beginning to actually allow myself to push that kidlet out.  She runs into my room, tears the comforter off of my bed and jumps up beside me all the time encouraging me.  What can I say Kristy totally rocked as a midwife.

It was all over by 8:20 in the morning.  I finally pushed out my first baby, my baby girl, and I was in love.  I was also very proud of myself.  Not only did I deal with a completely unexpected home birth but I also dealt with it all without any pain medication. 

I am so not one of those woman who forgot the pain when I looked at my baby.  To this day, I will tell anyone who asks how much it hurt . . . a pain like no other . .  but it was worth it because I got my babies. 

So there is it, the arrival of my Little Miss, from the start at 3 am to the finish at 8:20 am. 

What about you?  How was your first delivery?  What you imagined or as far from it as possible?
Jenn

8 comments:

  1. Oh Jenn that is AMAZING! You are my new hero you SUPERWOMAN!

    It also gives me hope as my best friend is wanting to have a home birth for her first baby due in a few months time and I'm really nervous for her to do it that way. probably because my labour was really traumatic and Harrison wouldnt have survived if that had been the case for me.

    Beautiful story, am so glad to have read it. And Happy Birthday to your Little Miss 4!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy Birthday to Little Miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG dude!
    That is a spectacular story!
    I would have been freaking my freak but you stayed so calm.
    I was already in the hospital because I was induced and I asked for an epidural the minute my foot was in the door.
    God Bless Drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is so awesome with your first. I would have been so scared to have a baby at home, but now that I had my first in the hospital with no drugs I think I could do it. Happy birthday to your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous story!

    Mine was quick too - 4am to 9:41am. I'm due to have my second baby any day now and will be very interested to see how long this labour lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, 5 hours, lucky you... even without pain relief i think i would of opted for that rather than the 27 hours i had....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice birth story. I'm so impressed you had it in your house and was only worried about your mattress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how easily I was able to visualize this happening, you're a great storyteller!! My first birth was a hospital birth with an OB, but was unmedicated. And it was okay. But I went on to have my 3 subsequent babies at home with a midwife. Happy Birthday to little miss!

    ReplyDelete

Ah connecting is a grand thing!