Sunday, 15 January 2012

Rear-ends, Dinner Dates and Dexter

So Friday 13 kind of sucked.  It was the first real dose of winter we have had and of course I chose to celebrate the freezing winds, snow and ice but sliding into the rear-end of a car parked at a stop sign . . . at the end of my road.  Luckily I wasn't travelling very fast because the roads being a piece of crap but I apparently didn't ease onto the brakes quite soon enough.

I would love to tell you know that I, with newly recovered from PPD sense of calm and peace, reacted in a calm manner but that would be nothing more than a bold faced lie.  Nope, I may have used the word "shit" several times as the car slowly slide into the one in front of us . . . oh yes us, I forgot to mention that the little man was strapped into the back. 

Anyways, from what I could see no damage was done so I gave her my information, hysterically called my husband and then calmly texted my boss to say that I was going to be late because I had rear-ended someone. 

The rest of the day went off without a hitch and I was so looking forward to Saturday because I was looking at some kid free time and I admit it, I was loving the idea. 

It all started with a phone call from Little Miss to my parents.  She had really missed them when we were away and she phoned to invite Grandpa on a playdate.  Arrangements were made and Little Miss decided that she didn't want me to go with them and all she needed was for me to drive them there because, as she informed me, "It would be dangerous if I drove".

I dropped the kids off and I was looking forward to some alone time when I got a call from the police informing me that the other car had reported the accident and they suggested that I do the same. 

I admit it, I was pissed!  Seriously, wasting my alone time on nothing.  At least I felt vindicated when everyone at the reporting centre agreed that it was a total waste of time

Back to the good stuff.  Brad and I went out for dinner . . . to a place that we would never take the kids to . . . and we took our time eating and we chatted about things other than the kids.  It was glorious.  After stopping for some ice-cream we came home and started watching Dexter.

Yes I know that I am totally behind on it but I have never been one to be up with the popular stuff.  Wow, let me just say that that show is all sorts of effed up but I think that it might be something we could really get into!

Now I am enjoying some more alone time before heading out in a bit to pick up the kids.  All in all, it has been a pretty darn good weekend.

What about you?  How was your weekend?  Do you ever take any opportunities for nights away from the kids?  You totally should.
Jenn

8 comments:

  1. At first I read it as though you were sledding and that your son was strapped to your back and you hit a car with your sled.
    I read it again and got it.
    Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got some grown-up time at a grown-up restaurant. Those opportunities are too far and in between for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer about the car, lucky you weren't both hurt. Isn't it jsut great to go out kids free.. Did you spend the night talking about them thou???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love a good date night. The are so very rare these days!

    But I HATE stupid stuff like filing reports. Or just dealing with those situations in general. Glad it wasn't more serious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG you will LOOOOVE Dexter. I thought it was a little messed up too, at first. I mean seriously, the guy's a serial killer. But soon you start cheering for him because he kills some seriously evil people who would otherwise walk free.

    Accidents suck. Glad it was minor and you and kid are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shit will happen but you handled it so very well. Really.
    Sorry about the car :(
    And you're right, Mom time is glorious. My husband took my son to the grocery store and I was in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. eff the po-po! I cannot believe that doucehcanoe reported an effin rear ender in the snow without any damage.

    Also, soooo totally awesome you got a date night without the kidlets. I am not sure what that is

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you for being able to handle the sh*tty situation very well, Jenn! Yes, I'd be cursing too, believe me, if that happened to me. But you're able to look back and focus on the positive that came out of that experience. That's a step forward. Heck, that's a big leap forward!

    Big hugs to you, sweetheart! So glad you're able to spend some quality time with the hubbs, watching Dexter nonetheless! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ah connecting is a grand thing!