Tuesday, 7 February 2012

What Triggers Your Memories?

I had no plans on writing anything tonight . . . it is late . . . I am tired and I try never to force myself to write.

Then I read something that sparked a memory in me . . . a happy memory . . . and it got me thinking about the many different ways memories can be triggered for me.

Interestingly, it was a simple statement made by a wonderful blogger named Audrey, who blogs at Break It, Make it, or Bake It .  She simply mentioned that one of the reasons she loves to remodel is because she loves the smell of wood.

I too love the smell of wood . . . it reminds me of my Grandfather and, to a lesser extent, my father.  My Grandfather was a carpenter.  He always seemed to have dust or wood chips on him somewhere and he smelled of wood.  Even as I am typing this I can so clearly remember how he smelled every time he hugged me.  Wow, I miss him.

I am also partial to the smell of a cologne called L'Homme because that is what my other Grandfather used all the time . . . that or Old Spice . . . this was before the Old Spice Guy made it popular for the young folk.  That being said, it is more music that can take me back to spending time with this Grandfather.  He loved big band music, something that he and I shared, and we would sit and talk about his time playing bass in a big band.  I cannot hear Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World or anything by the Glen Miller band without thinking of him.  Wow, I miss him.

Whenever I taste cream soda, which is really not all that often anymore because I find it way too sweet, I am taken back to a family camping trip where we ended up at some park that had pathways set up for roller skating.  My sister and I skated around that park over and over again . . . stopping only to enjoy a cream soda.  The park also had all sort of trampolines so when we weren't racing around the park on roller skates we were busily jumping like jumping beans. I loved our family camping trips . . . we saw so much of this province and probably visited each and every amusement park available.  Oh yes, we hit Santa's Village, Storybook Gardens and each and every Fort there way.  Wow, I so need to phone my sister but I suspect it it currently too late.

So ultimately this post is really about me sitting here focusing on some pretty happy memories . . . and smiling through tear filled eyes. 
Jenn





18 comments:

  1. Love this. It's so amazing what can trigger memories and happy or sad thoughts. I loved reading about what reminds you of your grandfather. Mine has been gone fifteen years, and rarely a day goes by when I don't think of him. The smell of coffee always reminds me of him...or of my Mawmaw's pound cake. Each year, I'm afraid another memory slips away. I was trying to remember what his voice sounded like tonight, and it's like I can't hear it anymore. I'm glad to know that some memories will always be there...even if something else has to trigger them first.

    Maybe I should start a pot of coffee...it's late, but it just might be worth it.

    Thanks for the thoughtful and sweet post! Coming from yeah write #43.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about our senses, they help us hold memories. We can bring them back just through a smell, a sound, or a touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, smiling through tear filled eyes is the best! I totally get the wood smell memory trigger...I can't smell wet mud at new construction without being instantly transported back to my childhood neighborhood. Ah, happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting you brought up scent - I think it's the single-most powerful memory inducer, bar none. If I smell Ralph Lauren's Polo - immediately transported back to fraternities in college. Or Chanel No. 5 - my mom. Amphora pipe tobacco - my dad. And on and on.
    One of my all-time favorite scents that always evokes memories - is a wood burning oven when I'm outside smelling it.
    Anyway see what you've done? I'm having all kinds of happy flashbacks now. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always confused when people say, "Don't look back." I suppose they are referring to bad times, because honestly - looking back and reliving the good times is heartwarming and encouraging.
    This was excellent, Jenn. I could smell the saw dust and taste the cream soda, too.
    And Old Spice? Yes. Love it. I don't care how old that makes me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sniff**. This is just lovely! Does it make you think, too, about what future little triggers you are creating every day for the ones who love you?

    Thanks so much for sharing this!

    Trish
    http://contemplatinghappiness.blogspot.com/2012/01/is-this-face-or-what.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roller skating and cream soda. Sounds like some great times, all spawned from the mere mention of wood. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wood, Old Spice and Big Band music - I have the most wonderful image of your Grandfather! Great memories, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jenn, isn't it so amazing how somethings as simple as a sip of cream soda or a smell that hits your nose, can bring back a flood of memories? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it's amazing how quickly and vividly memories come back like that. We're lucky that way, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get this - I've blogged about this a few times (as recently as today - we are sooo on the same wavelength) and memories linger at the forefront of my mind every single second of the day. Its tough at times because its not healthy to live in the past so often. But on the other hand reliving those happiest times, like you mention, are such a joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's something about Old Spice, isn't there? I have a friend who was burning a candle the other day that had the same woodsey notes, and I immediately thought of my own grandfather. Great post--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed your post. It has helped me to remember the sweet smell of freshly cut grass in the summer. I am so over winter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh. Smells and tastes really bring back memories, much more so than pictures or sounds for me. My grandparents' house had a distinctive smell, and now that they've passed and my brother and his wife are buying the house, I wonder if that smell will remain or if it will be replaced by the smell of their precious little babies. Remember does bring tears for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't smell the most powerful of all memory triggers? It can really bring you back..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you found some happy times to make your heart smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could totally relate to how vividly certain scents trigger past memories! Scents and songs... those did it every single time for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you're right, cream soda IS way to sweet.

    I love happy memories. And i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Ah connecting is a grand thing!