Monday, 9 April 2012

Motivation or a Rant

In what could have been a land speed record, my MIL managed to frustrate/piss me off within an hour of getting to our house . . . coloured me impressed.  Now, I will state for the record that I have woken up on the bed basically all weekend so that may have played a role in just how deeply this got to me.

As you may know, I have signed up for a little thing called the Spartan Race.  It is a 5k army-style obstacle course.  Why did I sign up for something that may require me to crawl through mud under barbed-wire?  Good question and the answer is two-fold.  Firstly, I have some extra weight from the meds that I want to drop and this seemed like a good way to sort of kick start it.  Secondly, it is a new challenge and something different to push myself to accomplish.

So we were just settling in and going over what had been going on since their last visit and either I or Brad mentioned something about the race.  My MIL's first reaction was to tell us that we couldn't do something like that.  When I asked her why, she said that it was not something we could do and that we were ended up suffering a heart attack.  Huh?! Now I do realise that I am carrying some extra weight but my blood pressure is amazing and I kickbox for 1.5 hrs at least 3 times a week . . . I am not going to suffer from a heart attack.

Her complete lack of support, coupled with her firm belief, not backed up with any sort of logical arguments, that this was something that I just could not do, pissed me off.  I am not expecting her to stand by watching the race but at this point, if she doesn't have something nice to say, she needs to learn to not say anything at all. 

That being said she definitely motivated me. The next morning I headed out for a training session and I kept what she said in mind.  I pushed myself to run faster up and down the hills, go deeper on the burpies and to just do more.  I will keep what she said in mind every time I feel like slacking off when our more formal training begins.  I want to show her that not only can I do it but that I did do it and I did it well.

Jenn
SR Targeted Team Banner5 300x250

14 comments:

  1. You are going to kick ass! I can't wait to hear how you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am nervously excited about it and it is still a few months away.
      Jenn

      Delete
    2. Well, if it will help, I'll send you a picture of me, completing my mud run. Probably with my middle finger up as a message to those who rolled their eyes at me when I said I was going to do it. :)

      Delete
  2. You are definitely going to kick butt on this race, and don't let any one tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be fantastic. You motivate & inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for turning her criticism around and making it fuel for your fire. I KNOW you will ace this race x

    ReplyDelete
  5. MIL's can be amazing motivation eh?! I can totally picture you doing something like this; you'll do awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hell?
    I'm glad that you're taking her comments and using it to motivate you even harder.
    You're going to do awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your MIL is feeling really bad about herself and is maybe upset because SHE can't do anything very physical anymore. The fact that she nothing valid to use to back up her criticism says it all to me. I can totally understand how it hurt you though (going through something similar myself). Good for you for using that as an additional push for training. You will do awesome and just the fact that you work out on a regular basis anyway - you are kicking butt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just LOVE it when one of my in-laws says something to piss me off and I can't really say anything back cuz I don't wanna be rude. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would have pissed me off, too! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Ah connecting is a grand thing!